April 22, 2010

Thank God For An Angel Friend

So many times, I'm the person giving and helping someone along the way, but once in a while I've been in a position to appreciate the gift of self from someone else. Today was one of those days. In fact, I'm so tired tonight that I'm not sure I have the energy to post this, but I believe my angel-friend deserves it.

While I love being a 'Redcoat' as I posted earlier, it's been quite a physical adjustment to the long hours and, in this particular job, having to actually stand at what seems like endless hours of standing at attention!

When I'm assigned to an area that already knows most of the basics of Epic, the questions stem from problems rather than a lack of knowing what to do. Those questions are few and far between, and when we aren't assisting with an Epic problem, we are expected to LOOK like we are available. No sitting down, playing with the iPhone, or reading a book.

The last two days have been particularly hard for me because I have an infected foot, AND because my 'business attire' includes shoes that are not made for standing in for a whole day at a time! I'm in a lot of pain to say the least.

Today, I asked my 'lead' about taking a break and her comment was, "That is the furthest from my mind right now" and it continued to be the furthest from her mind all day. So, I smiled, and stood at attention many, many hours yesterday and today.

At one point this morning, I actually felt like I was about to faint. My head felt woozy, and I heard a loud buzzing in my ears. I got a drink of water and walked around a bit, and wondered if I have ever actually fainted in my life.

At noontime, I telephone a classmate and FRIEND in another building to see if she could take lunch with me. As she stepped out of the elevator, she saw the look of discouragement and pain on my face. She immediately cancelled whatever plans she had for lunch (a nap in her car, I think) and asked me where I wanted to get lunch.

She offered to go get her vehicle and pick me up at the curb. She drove me to the drive-through where I got a child's lunch because there's no time to eat more than that and get back in 30 minutes.

She told me to 'take my time'. She would wait even if I took more than 30 minutes, she said. She turned on the a/c even though I think she was a little chilly and waited while I grumbled about my aches and pains and difficult people, between quick bites of food.

She said I was often helping others, and she was happy to help me out today.

It was so simply wonderful to lean on someone stronger than I was today. And, to see the honest selflessness of a friend.

I told her thank-you over and over again, but her 'gift' has lasted with me since that time.

It's easy to be a good friend when there's good times to be had, but to forget self and come to the rescue without being asked, is the kind that is heaven-sent.

Or, angel-sent, as I like to think.

That's the kind of friend I want to be.
Thank-you again, my friend!

Take Care on the Journey,
Your friend in life,
~Linda



Home: http://dustyangels.blogspot.com
E-mail: bestnurse@usa.com

No comments: