January 6, 2010

Hot Chocolate and Unemployment

(flickr photo perla)

Someone placed a reciprocal link from this website to selfgrowth.com where it describes my website as one that, encourages positive thinking.

Based on that assumption about me, I'd like to give you the recipe on how to make a steaming cup of sweet, hot chocolate from a chunk of bitter cocoa. Or, that infamous, cool glass of sweet lemonade from one very sour lemon.

And maybe now, I can provide some direction to those who find themselves on the edge of a "hubby lost his job" precipice wondering which way the wind will blow.

Most couples kissed at the stroke of midnight six days ago. At 5 p.m. today, my husband and l kissed the start of a new beginning in life. That is the moment he became officially unemployed!

With two bachelor's degrees, a master's degree, and a lifetime of financial/accounting experience, Mr. M. became conjoined with the gangling line of unemployed men and women that snakes all the way across America. Somewhat like the, 'Hands Across America" back in 1986. That hand-holding line of seven million participants covered 4,152 miles from New York City's Battery Park to the RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach, California.

Today, I'm addressing anywhere from 10 to 13.5 million disquieted people who find themselves swirling in the foreboding winds of change and finding little to hang on to.

For the record, hubby did not quit his job, even though I believe his company would have preferred it that way. He told them, "It's a matter of honor. I have done my work well and faithfully and see no reason to give in to the matter of why I should be gone". So, they bid him farewell and held the door open as he left, holding his briefcase in one hand and his integrity in the other.

On the bright side, as most of the East Coast is fighting a bitter winter storm this week, we like the thought that hubby doesn't have to shovel a snowpath to the car at 6 a.m. in the morning, and we are stocked up on lots of oatmeal and hot tea.

We plan a rare visit with oldest son within a few weeks and long walks on the wooded trail. The honey-do-list will be extended to include interludes with the dishwasher and washing machine. He will soon start to prepare another resume and go through the job-hunting process, although this time he may be able to accept part-time work.

He says, "One must have faith, believe in destiny, self-direction (choices), and look forward to the opportunity of the future."

I'm thankful for instant hot chocolate, and that it's not the season for lemonade (because I never get the right mix of lemon and sugar).

As for the precipice, it's bridged with a bright outlook for my job possibilities as a registered nurse within a few weeks, and a long list loving family and friends that reaches all the way across this land.

It reminds me of the song, This Land Is Your Land
(Woody Guthrie)


This land is your land,
This land is my land
From California, to the New York Island
From the Redwood forest,
To the gulf stream waters
This land was made for you and me.

As I was walking a ribbon of highway
I saw above me an endless skyway
I saw below me a golden valley
This land was made for you and me...

Take Care on the Journey,
Your Friend in Life,
~Linda

Home: http://dustyangels.blogspot.com/
E-mail: bestnurse@usa.com

No comments: