March 15, 2007

Hot chocolate, anyone?

I should be cuddled up in our king-size bed with Sheba keeping my feet warm and Jim burrowed beside me with his pillow wrapped around his ears to keep them warm. But, he's finishing the paper and Sheba hasn't had her last walk of the night, so I'll stop by here and say and hi to my family and website friends.
Did you ever have one of those days when you fumbled everything you tried to do? It started last night while I was doing private duty with the baby. (We got a rocking chair - Thanks Juanita for pointing me in the right direction.)
I broke my tooth and he broke the cord connecting him to his oxygen machine. (Actually, the pulse ox machine that measures his oxygen.) If the baby isn't connected to his machine, one has to watch his face and fingernails constantly to see if they are turning blue - and if so - get some oxygen into his nose at all costs.
After I put the rest of my front tooth in to my uniform pocket, scolding myself for not going back to the dentist like I was suppose to have the last time it broke, I held the baby in my arms while I tried to repair the cord attached to his big toe. (It measures his oxygen level.)
In desperation, I finally called the day nurse to ask if she had ever had a problem like this. She immediately understood my situation of having to constantly monitor the baby, so she got out of bed - and got her husband out of bed to drive her - to the baby's house and work on the big toe wiring problem!
That is dedication and I thank her profusely, although I doubt she'll ever see this story.
Getting home after midnight, I took a few minutes to check my email and set the clock for 5 a.m. as I crawled - wide awake - into bed! You know how it is when you know that you will have to get up in a few hours. I suspect my friend Floyd understands that feeling all to well while he's doing an early morning paper route!
But, this morning I woke up at 3 minutes before my alarm was set to go off. That's not to say I wasn't still sleepy and feeling a bit sorry for myself, but as I tell Jim, "I'm awake when I turn on the bathroom light." He takes several hours to 'wake up'. Neither of us are coffee people, though.
Later, while pouring hot water into my favorite mug for hot chocolate, I bumped the hot water pot and dumped it all over my legs! Jumping back from that, I knocked over my (favorite) mug and it landed with a crash on the kitchen floor splattering my last packet of hot chocolate and what was left of the hot water, all over the kitchen!
"Are you all right in there?" Jim called from the bedroom.
"I just made a mess!" I yelled back as I ran out the door - several minutes late for work.
Outside I was shocked by a winter blast of cold rain and blowing wind! A few hours before it was a balmy 70 degrees. Now it was 38 and spitting show in my face. That's winter in Ohio! Something about coming in like a Lion. That must be what that means!
And I hadn't even started my work day at the nursing home..... You don't want to know.
There's lots more going on in our life. I want to post a story about a dream I had about a secret way to fly that we've all forgotten, but will have to get to that tomorrow. Of course, I have a dentist appoint to contend with and work with the baby at 4 p.m. Then, three full days of 12-hour shifts at the nursing home.
But I'll be back as soon as I can. If I get to bed now, maybe I'll wake up early enough to come back and meet you here.

Take Care on the Journey,
~Linda

1 comment:

Clay Feet said...

You are right - I am right now feeling the effects of sleep effects as I try to stay awake to read your blog. I frequently wake up before the alarm goes off even if I have only got 2 or 3 hours of sleep. Yesterday I got up 1 1/2 hours before the alarm went off and left for the paper route around 1:30 AM. Then I picked up my nephew and drove 4 hours to the funeral near Iowa. Then we turned around and I drove home another 4 hours arriving around 9 PM. Got to bed so I could get up again early...
Glad you had a good trip and visit. Keep in touch.