July 27, 2007

The Gold-In Life

Sometimes I think, (as many bloggers do), that no one reads my postings. It’s just my mind rambling here in cyberspace to be redeemed by a passing voyager in yonder year – or maybe lost forever in time and space!

So I’ll ramble with my thoughts on this rainy Friday night the 27th day of July.


It was about 20 years ago that my editor at the newspaper office commented to no one in particular, this statement that has rekindled in my mind often throughout the years…

“Everything Linda touches turns to gold.”

I don’t know why that has resurfaced several times in the last few weeks. Maybe it was my mom's visit that sent me into a reminiscent mode. And, the fact that we didn't discuss the life paths either of us took - and now perhaps we never will. Or just maybe I’m getting to a time in my life when I'm reflecting back (more often than I used to!), and I'm thinking that that nothing I’ve touched has turned to gold.

There’s a joy-feeling I get thinking about some things I’ve accomplished and friendships made, but not that perfect ending that has brought spiritual fulfillment and/or financial freedom we humans seem to constantly seek. If anyone tries to make me believe they are spiritually free, I would ask them why are they still searching and what are they searching for? If I ever find someone who says they are financially comfortable, I'd ask why they aren't offering some of that extra money to me!


Throughout our life we often forecast a better future with words like...

When the car is paid off...
If the car didn't keep breaking down...
If we didn't have credit card bills...
If we didn't have to use credit cards...
If the house was paid for…
When the kids finish school…
When I finish school…
If we had $100,000 in savings…
If I didn’t have to work…
When we win the lottery…
If someone would leave us a lot of money…
When I retire...
When the Lord comes to take us home...

Does this sound familiar? Does any of this turn our life into gold?

I wrote a letter today for a friend who needed a recommendation for something, and to make an impression I signed my name with the additional titles. Licensed Practical Nurse, Published Author, Former Clerk of Oronoko Township, Berrien Springs, Michigan. (I forgot to add Professional Photographer!)

As I signed the letter, I chuckled to myself and said, “So what?”

* I never did get the fantastically beautiful photography studio with the flowering gardens and sparkling waterfalls, and all the whistles and bells a photographer loves to play with. But, I still love photography and photographing people!

* Politics wasn’t what it’s cut out to be although winning two elections was worth more than words can describe. Those eight years as the township clerk was beset with political head-ons because the township was run (and still is) by stubborn old men who think a woman belongs in the kitchen! The experience was more than most people get in a lifetime, though.

* My book looks like it is not going to make a best seller although that was not my purpose anyway. (Or I wouldn’t have given away 100 books!) But, writing my memoir was a dream come true. It's a step into the future for more to come!


* Sometimes I regret that I will never sign, RN after my name although it was very close at times. The incomplete education to become a Registered Nurse extended over at least 30 years, but I couldn't get past that darn algebra (and always having to work for a living!)


* I was a good newspaper correspondent - but not a great one. ( I guess that depends on who you ask.) But, it was a bright moment in time that I look back on with a smile, knowing it taught me more about people and life then I couldn't have learned any other way!

* My fingers will never flow across a keyboard to play the golden melody that I hear in my head, but pouring my spirit into the keys brings me quietness and relaxation. Today the keyboard is my "quiet companion' as I usually play it when I'm home alone.

* I’m not a department head or a leader of anything professionally, although I have done that and found that I was very good at leadership and organization. I worry that I should be doing something greater than what I am, but it has been my choice to step away from that path.


Sometimes I fret because I can’t cook very well (but I can follow a recipe). I don’t sew beautiful clothes anymore (but I still have a sewing machine). I have diaries that no one will ever read (and I’m still writing more). There are boxes of personal items that no one will ever open. Clothes in my closet that I’ll never wear again, and books on the bookshelf that I’ll never read.

Having said all that, I am very sure that the GOLD in my life is what I’ve left behind in footprints. In the simple acts of kindness, the fulfillment of some dreams, a few true friendships, some trusting family ties, and loving companionships I have enjoyed along the way. Most of all, I believe in the spirituality of nature and how it ties us all together.

I’ve learned that not all friendships are true. Not every family member will love in return. The past is always very present. The dog always barks at something. If it says it's FREE, there's a catch. The rainbow doesn't always show all it's colors. And I believe that deep down, everybody feels the heartbeat of God.

No, everything I’ve touched has not turned to gold. But they are golden moments if one looks at them that way. Maybe I’ll leave some golden footprints that someone else will follow because I was there. Hopefully the footprints will lead the way to a secret path through their mountain. A smooth trail beside a stormy lake. A rainbow with a thousand colors at the end of every day and sweet dreams at night.

Read about rainbows HERE

Listen to a beautiful song and view the words to "Footprints in the Sand" HERE

I always come back to the motto hanging by my bathroom door...

"If I can't do great things, I'll do small things in a great way.

That is my GOLD. What's yours?

Take Care on the Journey,
~Linda

No comments: