February 5, 2008

Illustrator Wanted

Flickr by Barriems5
The title is to get your attention. I posted an ad on Craig's List for an Illustrator for my next book, "The Laughing Place" about Alzheimers and dementia and I received so many awesome replies! So many in fact, that I had to send the same message to each one with more specifics as to what I want in order to narrow the field. Anyone who knows me understands that I always have a difficult time saying "no" to anyone! I'm trying to stay focused on what I want and find the artist that can most closely fill that need, rather than just be nice and say yes to something I might not really want for my book. So, wish us good luck and may the best person get the job!

Here's a description of what I want for one of the illustrations. Others will follow the same pattern but in a different story.

I’ve been overwhelmed with responses to my posting for an illustrator. It looks like I’d better be more specific about what I want, and if you are still interested, please email me with the title “Still Interested”.

What I have in mind for one of the illustrations is this: Three people in a room. Maybe the home of an elderly couple.. She sits in an old rocking chair holding/rocking an invisible baby. (Women with dementia often hear a crying baby - especially if they lost a child when it was an infant.) Her elderly husband sits on a bed or in a chair with a look of desperation, frustration, exhaustion, love, and devotion (spouses often never get any sleep because those with dementia wander away all the time). (Can you put all that in one face?) Behind the elderly women stands a younger man (their son) with his arms crossed looking almost angry but also near tears. (Children of those with dementia find it very difficult to understand the changes in their parent.) Perhaps the room looks unkempt. Adult diapers, plates of uneaten food, bedside commode, antique furniture. Also, (if this isn't too much) if you could go to my blogsite
http://dustyangels.blogspot.com and find the cover picture of my first book, "Dusty Angels and Old Diaries" (on the first page). Could that picture be hanging on the wall over the bed? It's the picture of the angel watching the two small children crossing the bridge.

Hubby starts his new state job on Monday. We think everything is set... I just realized we haven't told the kids yet. Guess we want that first paycheck before we set this in stone.

Take Care on the Journey,

~Linda

2 comments:

The Cat's Meow said...

I can barely draw a stick guy so I'm not the one for this job. I'm sure you will find the right person for the right price.
Way to go Jim, glad you got your job you've wanted for so long. Have fun on your visit to Tenn.
Love Sandy

Katy said...

Congratulations on your new job, Jim! I hope it's more satisfying than your last job. :)