January 1, 2009

Calculating IV flow Rates Using MAGIC NUMBER Method

For my friends who get this by e-mail, you can ignore this one. It's for us math-challenged nurses!

After memorizing this formula, I just made 100% on an online Pharmacology Test!

Calculating IV flow rates using MAGIC NUMBER method.
I copied this from allnurses.com Thank-you NeneRN

Determining which "magic number" you will use depends on your tubing gtt size. (60 divided by gtt size equals magic number).

For example, 60 gtt tubing; 60 divided by 60 equals ONE.
15 gtt tubing; 60 divided by 15, equals FOUR.
10 gtt tubing; 60 divided by 10 equals SIX.

Okay, so once you know which "magic number" you're using, you then divide your ordered rate (ml/hr) by the magic number to get your gtts/min.

For example, You have an order for NS at 120cc/hr using 15 gtt tubing. What is your drip rate in gtts/min? 60 divided by 15 equals FOUR (magic number). 120 cc/hr divided by 4 equals 30 gtts/min.

Another example,Your order is to infuse D5NS at 240ml/hr using 10 gtt tubing. What is your drip rate in gtts/min? 60 divided by 10 equals SIX (magic number). 240ml/hr divided by 6 equals 40 gtts/min

Take Care on the Journey,
Always remember your Conversion Rules!
~Linda

Home: http://dustyangels.blogspot.com/
E-Mail: bestnurse@usa.com

9 comments:

Katy said...

ugh, sounds awfully complicated! I'm glad I just have to talk to people about their benefits rather than administer those benefits! :)

Happy New Year! Congratulations on your 100% test score, smarty.

love,
katy

The Cat's Meow said...

Over my head!! Way to go on you test.
I'm trying to learn how to throw a BABY shower, any ideas?? We're having it feb.7
appy New Year.
Love ya

MW S.N. said...

Thanks for the formula! Second semester RN student here, good luck with your classes! I read some of your blog. I'm in CA and if it makes you feel any better, the instructors here don't correlate the text/lectures with the tests! It's so frustrating sometimes, almost feels like they are trying to make you fail. I love your positive attitude! Keep your head up and keep on going!

Linda J. Meikle (Former Linda Cash) said...

Thanks, MW S.N. for your encouraging comment. I wish you the best and hope you'll keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.

~Linda

Tim Swaggbro said...

Awesome admin! Nice article use in this blog.
IV Infusion Joshua Tree CA

heigyirh said...

I found this post while researching intravenous therapy in indian wells , and the information here is really valuable.

guliceaatem said...

Professional intravenous therapy in Irvine can make a huge difference in hydration, recovery, and maintaining better daily performance.

biknertkolperty706 said...

Excellent article with practical information for anyone interested in intravenous therapy in la quinta.

quadreally1 said...

Very informative post about intravenous therapy in Fountain Valley. The points about professional care were especially helpful.