November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving Surprise for Grandma!

(Pictured) Victoria says, "Grandma. Take my picture, please".

Everyone has a Thanksgiving story to tell. (I hope yours was that nice!). Jim and I spent Thursday in a quiet way because we planned our Thanksgiving Dinner this weekend when Jim's son and wife were expected over.
..
On Friday, hubby and I volunteered to deliver some Meals-On-Wheels. Except for absolutely impossible directions and maps that were obsolete, we had a wonderful experience sharing with others!
..
Imagine my surprise and DELIGHT this morning when John arrived with our 4-year old granddaughter whom we hadn't seen for almost two years (through no fault of her own).

..
Victoria greeted grandma, grandpa, and Sheba as if she hadn't missed a beat since she was last at our home when she was only two-years old!
..
She gave us a big hug and seated herself beside the Christmas tree with a twinkle in her eye as she reached for the Care Bear Teddy Bear under the tree.
..
"Thank-you grandma," she squealed and added, "I'm going to sleep with her tonight."
(Grandma's are ALWAYS prepared!)

.
She is a darling, sweet child with shiny dark hair and sparkling brown eyes. It was amazing to hear a child calling me "grandma" and even more so to observe how mature, smart and polite she is!

.
After breakfast, she carried her plate to the kitchen, put her silverware in the sink and placed her left-over milk in the refrigerator. "I'm going potty now, " she announced. "And I can reach the sink all by myself," she informed me as I rushed to help her.

.
Needless to say, grandma had some other 'surprises' hidden in her closet. When I gave her a little red case full of hair-care set with clips and a brush, she spent the next couple hours combing every body's hair and then gave herself a totally new hairdo! (Pictured).

She made a gorgeous castle for her Care Bear Teddy Bear out of blocks that just happened to be under the tree, complete with flowers and a castle wall made from the gift box it came in.
..
By the time Thanksgiving dinner was finally on the table, Victoria announced that it was time for her to take a nap. Her daddy immediately informed her that she would eat her food first, but grandma intervened and told daddy John "There are no rules at grandma's house and if she wants to take a nap now, it is time to take a nap". Thankfully daddy gave in or grandma would have taken daddy John outside for a little "grandma talk".
..
While we stuffed ourselves with all the dinner delight, Victoria snoozed in grandpa's recliner! Of course, when Victoria woke up and asked where all the food was, grandma had a little plate all ready. As usual for four-year olds, little Victoria is completely full after one good bite of mashed potatoes.
..
"I'd like a deviled egg, please" she said, noticing that she didn't get one. Of course, we scrambled to pull out all the containers of leftover food from the refrigerator until we found the small bowl with four leftover deviled eggs. (Whew! That was close.)
..
Having groomed the entire family with her new grooming set, taken a short little nap, finished her Thanksgiving meal, watched a Care Bear Video (also provided by fast-thinking grandma), Victoria was ready to gather her toys and kiss everyone goodbye. She reminded her mom and dad to "be sure and don't forget your toys" as she allowed grandma to zip up her coat and kiss her goodbye.
..
"I'll be back at Christmas," she promised. And, by george, I'm sure she will!
(Pictured) John, Missy (sortof adopted), Care Bear, Victoria and Denise
Looks like grandma will have to do some more 4 a.m. shopping for toy specials!
Stay tuned for the the horrifying story about my 4 a.m. shopping trip on Black Friday. First I have to stop and study for mid-terms in A&P and Psychology! I'll post that story later.
..
Take Care on the Journey,

~Linda

1 comment:

The Cat's Meow said...

Linda you & Jim Have a very beautiful granddaughter. You make a GREAT Grandma, I hope I do half as good as you with being a MeMa to Fee's baby. I haven't been around kids since Bobby and thats been a loong time. Craig lights up when he talks about being a PaPa, he says he can't wait to spoil her & teach her to shoot the guns and ALL the safety things about guns. He wants to take her out on the boat and I get to teach her to fish. I just want to give her LOTS of love and let her know she can always come to me when she needs a hug, or ear to hear whats on her mind, & do my best to keep her safe. I'm also going to be at the hosp.(camera in hand) for the birth. Wendy's doing to the breathing thing with her.
I love ya, have a fun day.